Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Munich Part Two

During my second day in Munich, I got to climb to the top of St. Peter's Church, the oldest church in the city. It stands on the hill where Munich’s original monks are believed to have settled back in the ninth century. St. Peter’s is part of the soul of the city; there’s even a popular song about it that goes, ‘Munich is not Munich without St. Peter’s.’

The climb to the top was a little longer than the Heiliggeistkirche in Heidelberg with 305 steps (read all about my trip to Heidelberg here: http://wickedblogger20.blogspot.com/2015/09/heidelberg.html). I climbed it with my friend Jesse and I don't know how he survived it. He is an avid photographer so his backpack is always stocked with a tripod, lights, and various lens. 

Though there was two way traffic on the stairs, there was more breathing room on the St. Peter's stairs then on the Heiliggeistkirche staircase, and an equally dynamic vista.  I got to see the New Town Hall’s famous glockenspiel. Every day at 11am and 12pm (and at 5 o’clock May-Oct), the tower chimes and colorful figures come out of the balcony and dance. The spiel of the glockenspiel tells the story of a noble wedding that actually took place on the market square in 1568. 


At night, I went swimming in Munich's Isar River. The most recognized strip of the Isar River is the Eisbach, which flows into the English Garten. Just like the Garten, the Isar River is a popular place for having a picnic, rafting, and drinking a beer.

It was a significant moment swimming in it during the wee hours of July 14th, as it was the first time I ever hung out with my boyfriend, Michael. It was his idea, Mr. Spontaneous. During my first class on the History and Geography of Germany, which was three days before the departure, one of the professors and I were taking about how we both need to work on being more spontaneous. I feel since meeting Michael, I am not so nervous when it comes to confronting the unexpected. Though I was unsure then if it was legal or not to swim in the river, I took the dive anyways. We had to walk over some sharp rocks to get to the mainland after our swim, but once he put his arm around me, I never felt more stable on ground. Little did I know then, but Michael was laying down the solid foundation that would pave the road for the strong, healthy  relationship we have now. 

Munich is the capital of Bavaria and it's beautiful, romantic, and has one of the most fascinating stories in all of Europe. It is no wonder it has been voted multiple times as the most livable city in the world. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
St. Peter's Church 
Rindermarkt 1, 80331 München, Germany
49 89 210237760 

Dachau Concentration Camp 
Alte Römerstraße 75, 85221 Dachau, Germany
49 8131 669970 

My Social Media 
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wickedblogger20/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/danca_l

No comments:

Post a Comment